Tuesday, June 20, 2006

That's great it starts with an earthquake

Boy oh boy. School drives me nuts but more so, I drive myself nuts. First test is in an hour and a half for my summer class. We are allowed to write the essays ahead of time and turn them in when we get there then we do the multiple choice section in class. Well, we get the multiple choice ahead of time too but he changes up the order and such for the actual test. Yeah, I know, he lays it out for us. My lazy butt doesn't get the motivation to study for such a test until the night before. Old habits die hard or rather won't die at all. I make due. I say, at least I am studying. In the past it would get to the point where I would put it off so long that it wasn't possible to study at all. I would fail the tests and then that would lead to me dropping the course. It's all connected.

I got the essays done a little bit ago. I finished finding the answers to the multiple choice questions. I should be good to go, right? Well, I don't feel like I have accomplished enough. I have though. I've done what I need to do. I do plan on going over the questions again to hopefully imprint the answers into my mind better. Although my memory recall sucks, that's probably what I am worried about.

I was thinking about going back to sleep for a little bit but now that I look at the time and think about how I should go over the answers some more. I think that I'll just get ready now and head out to llcc a little early so that I can study right before the test and have it fresh in my head.

Busy day today though. Class, then work, then dinner and a movie with a friend. Probably home to crash after that because I didn't get much sleep, well I got a few hours but it was a restless sleep where I would wake up every so often thinking that I had overslept and that I was screwed. That is one of the worst feelings. It might be worse than the feeling of rejection or at least close.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:25:00 AM , Blogger gotshoo.com said...

K-

One way I got out of my old habits was to 'plan' when I was going to study, meaning giving myself at least four days before a test to look at the material. Similar to the way when you planned your meals when dieting. Even opening the book for just 20 mins a few days before was a big help in hindsight. Exposing yourself to the testing material over a period of time also relieves stress because your confidence level will go up after reviewing. This way you can choose to do a light overview of the entire test, or pick a section to concentrate in an evening and not be bogged down the night before.

And it is not a bad thing to study the night before, but the more time exposed to the material, the better you will do.

I have to do the same thing at work. I usually have a list of items that need to be complete or worked on. Mentally, I plan when I am going to tackle these issues. (Right now I am ignoring that list to comment on your blog)

I also had to eliminate all distractions by getting out of the house away from family members, computers, other tasks.

LLCC and UIS libraries are great to study at, especially the stairwell area in the UIS library. B&N, you can study as well as check out some of the 'environment' but there are a few more distractions. Starbucks is another place.

I know not all people study the same, but after changing my old study habits half-way through LLCC my grades dramatically improved as well as my stress level decreased.

Side note: I took a study skills class after doing poorly in school my first year.

Good luck on your test!

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:02:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you put your mind to it - you will do great - keep us posted to how it goes!

ss

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com


Site Counters