Monday, January 10, 2005

ARG! Dad!

So I go by the bank to do an inquiry of my checking account at the atm. I do this every so often just to make sure that everything is fine. Now, you say, Kyle you should keep your balance in your check book! Well, I do. I have been keeping very accurate records for about 2 months now. That is really good for me. Everything has been matching up on the bank statement. Last statement matched fine. I was at the right amount of money that I thought I had. Not enough in my opinion but that is besides the point. Also my account was still matching up as of about a week ago. I could factor in and out checks that are outstanding and everything was working out fine. Well, I get my balance. It is in the negatives. I'm like WHAT THE HELL?! I've been writing everything down and I should have a little over 20 dollars to the good. Well, I'm griping about this when I am at home. My genius father decides to put his 2 cents in. A very old and decrepit 2 cents that I most of the time don't need. He makes the claim that I am not balancing my check book. I'm like, well I balance it after every transaction that I make. He says that isn't what he means. He says, when you get your statement you are supposed to use this form on the back and balance outstanding checks. I'm like, Yeah... I match up every check and debit and deposit that is on my statement with what I have written down in my checkbook and it worked out the way it was supposed to. He says that isn't what he means. I'm like I just said the same thing that you said in different words. He says no, you didn't, the outstanding checks, I like well yeah, I match everything up. So then he starts his "Oh, we're having a fight" Sigh. Which irritates the hell out of me. Because he then trys to talk slower and dumb it down for me which then insults me a hell of a lot. I think my dad thinks that I am stupid. I know how to freaking balance my checkbook. So then he says, well it is either the banks fault or Your fault. I'm like, oh thanks, I think I know what you mean by that statement. But because I said I don't use the form on the back of the statement he thinks that it must be my fault. That form is for people who don't know how to balance a check book/checking account. I've had classes in HS and have a ton of life experience where I know how to add and subtract a transaction, damnit. He insulted the hell out of me trying to make me feel stupid. Saying I don't know what I am doing. I've had checking for years. I know what it is about. I try to explain this to dear old dad but for some reason he acts as though I do everything in life for the first time. I'm not too stressed about this. I do plan on taking care of it soon. I have no need to take care of it just yet because I don't have any transactions to make for a day or 2 so it can sit. I have had times where something is actually wrong on the bank's side and it works itself out. Like I've had it show hundreds of dollars negative before when I haven't even used an account for like a week and hadn't written any checks in over a month while knowing that all checks cleared. Stuff like that. I would let it sit for a few days longer and then check balance again and it would be corrected. So that was my run in with my dad today. We probably won't talk the rest of the day either because we are not in the same room, not because I'm pissed at him but because our schedules don't converge much. Which is good, thank God. Mental note. I've got to learn to not have problems around dad. He thinks that he can solve them all. I'm not a kid, I've been down this road before. Now I admit to him often that there are somethings that I really do need him for. That's great. I know I need him for things but not everything. He seems to think that it is everything. He needs to learn also when it is appropriate to help, if you can call what he does help... More like getting in the way and annoying the hell out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com


Site Counters