Wednesday, March 02, 2005

1 Year anniversary

Today is my 1 year anniversary of my splenectomy surgery. Due to immune problems my immune system was killing of my blood platelets that help a person clot and this was happening in the spleen. This had been ongoing since I was 15 years old. I had a very rough time with it a year ago last January and February and decided to nip it in the bud while I was still on my parents' insurance. So out came the spleen and as it turned out my spleen was 3 times larger than a normal spleen equating, it should have been the size of a baseball but it was the size of a football. I had a graphic account of how one of the surgeons had to "scoop" it out. Then there was also a smaller accessory spleen which only a small small percentage of the population have this. I'm one lucky guy. So far, a year after the actual surgery date I am still very healthy as blood problems go. The problem was fixed. Although it is not a 100% success rate of the surgery getting rid of the immune problem it had a very high rate and was the best alternative than besides to live with it. I never thought I would have major surgery, at least not while being this young. I was in the hospital a week following the surgery. I watched a lot of baseball and sportscenter. Friends and family came to see me.

The last year has been an interesting one. Full of ups and downs but that is how life is. The only thing you can count on in life is death. So just have fun. Actually live life and don't be a stick in the mud. Who knows, I could have had a complication in surgery and lost my life. Things can happen. I know that things worked out for the best because I am here today. If you are ever down and out just remember that you are alive and things could be worse. Smile!

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:06:00 PM , Blogger K- said...

Yeah, I know that you do. You get very giddy anytime that I mention it. You're starting to make me associate it with you because of your reactions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com


Site Counters