Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Yesterday's addendum

So here it goes for summing up what I was saying about my work day yesterday that I accidentally deleted.

My day was going along fine. I did the morning shift and then went home did the usual Regis and Kelly and then a nap. Well, on my way to work on the radio at about 2:20pm I hear that a security guard on duty at the State Capitol has been shot in the arm. The man who did the shooting fled the scene. I'm like WHOA! This doesn't happen in Springfield. Sure there are shootings here and there but not usually at State complexes let alone the Capitol. So, I immediately call my parents to let them know what is going on. I continue on to work. I get there at 2:25 like I usually do. I like to be early. I let the janitor on duty know about the shooting and he thanks me and informs me that his wife works at the state capitol but is off today so that is a good thing for him. I proceed to go hang out in the Gym where we hold Scope. Loretta comes in from the office and I share with her. She has yet to hear anything about it either. School gets out just like normal at 3pm and all the Scopers come to the gym and we get things going. Then Loretta gets paged and calls the Scope office. All schools are to now go on lock down for the rest of the day. We are all stuck inside. Oh boy. That wasn't a huge deal but I was pissed. I was really pissed because I had found out about the shooting at 2:20 and it is after 3pm now and we are just now going on lockdown? Did the administration for the district purposely wait until all of the kids were dismissed before they started the lock down? So there is a murdered fleeing from the scene out and about and we just let all of the kids out onto the streets to do who knows what. Apparently the shooting happened at 1:38pm so I'm sure the school district had plenty of time to find out about this shooting and administer a lockdown order. Also my school is not too far from the capitol and down town, just about 6 springfield blocks from the capitol is my estimate. Not far for kids who like to ride their bikes all around.

So anyway, we lock down the school. We do snacks on the gym floor instead of the stage, the kids are wondering what is up, Loretta hears from someone that the guy shot actually died so it was a murder, when I heard it was just in the arm, so apparently the first story wasn't totally accurate. One kid over hears the word homicide and then later comes up to me badgering me for information, "come on, you can tell me" I'm like no, now go sit back down and eat your snack, don't worry about it. I wasn't too worried about it. We Were on lock down so no one was getting into the school without a key. Loretta had to sit by the front doors so that she could let parents in to get their kids. We were going to let the kids just play in the gym but they kept misbehaving and not listening to us at all. The were an onry squirrley bunch. So Loretta mandated that because no one would listen we would finish the entire book that we are reading to them. So I proceeded to read The Mouse and The Motorcycle to them for about the next hour and a half or so. Wow, that is the longest period of time I have ever read outloud to a group of people. A few fell asleep and were in such deep sleep that they had to be shaken awake and then once they were awake they didn't seem to know where they were. They just sat there with a blank stare not responding. So I had to start talking slower and using hand motions to try and get their attention. So that was fun. Not all the kids fell asleep though, others had energy and would not sit still, some kept edging closer to me so much so that they were almost on my feet. I would stop reading and be like, what are you doing. Go back to where you were there is no need for you to be this close. One of the kids, once she got picked up apparently her parents let her go out on her bike and she ends up riding over to the school. I'm like what in the world. Here we are on a lock down and the kids come back and just hang around outside.

So that was my crazy day with the kids yesterday. Today is a half day for the kids so that means a longer day for me. Instead of going back at 2:30 I get to be back there at 11am because the kids get out at 11:30. What fun. At least it isn't a whole day off and Scope is still running. I know I'm guaranteed a few of those days in december. I hope I make it through today. I'm not getting my nap in today so I assume that I will sleep very well tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com


Site Counters