Wednesday, October 20, 2004

High Risk, MY ASS!!!

SO I just did a lot of calling around. First my blood doctor, I told them my story. I have no spleen and I because of this have a weakened immune system because the spleen is part of the immune system. They say that I need to call my primary health physician for information on that. I'm like oh great. So I call my family doctor. I again explain the no spleen factor and ask if I qualify for the flu shots and then how would I represent that I need the shots. They say that they don't think that I qualify unless I have HIV or something along those lines. I'm like what?!! But they then give me a number to call which is regarding the flu shots. So I call another bloody number. It rings and rings and then finally someone answers. I say I need to find out information on the qualifications of the flu shot. They then (without actually talking to me past the point of my question) immediately transfer me to a recording which doesn't mention being spleenless. The thing is most of the population has their spleen(s). So is it going to be like this? Am I going to get looked over for the rest of my life in the no spleen area? I can't get a definite answer. The spleen is a huge part of the immune system. I had to get 3 vaccinations prior to the surgery because of the potential of getting insanely sick after spleen removal. Now due to a stupid shortage I am not risky enough? Old people are old! I have a lot of living left to do and I would not like to get sick and die. Health care can kiss my rear end. Sending me all over the place and not giving me a straight answer. I don't take medications. A standing order for Amoxacillin I don't think will cut it for a prescription that would qualify me in their eyes as a high risk. So I guess I will just have to tough it out. If I feel sick I am loading up and living off of Amoxacillin if it will help me or not. Also, I know that these kids are going to make me sick again. I already got a head cold a while back and I know it is because of the kids. Today one kid I was sitting next to sneezed and I felt it. Yeah I FELT IT. Germs, everywhere. I was like oh damnit, that's gross. Let us all hope that of what immune system that I have it is good enough to battle the flu this year. Last year I didn't get the flu shot and that is what made me sick as a dog and led to my blood platelets dropping again and then all the crap that followed. Now I'm in a different boat a year later. I just want to know why weren't the facilities at that Chiron Corp sanatized in the first place. That stuff should be regulated to the point that the regulators live there always checking on that.

SO what it comes down to is that they don't recognize people without an immune system organ like me. If that organ that I no longer have was inflicted with something serious like HIV then I would qualify but to not even have that organ makes me non high risk. Sounds like BS to you too? Health Care's internal monologue "Leave that man out in the cold. Maybe he will get sick and die. Then he will stop calling us and bothering us while we are playing solitare on our computers at work. "

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 20, 2004 4:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recognize you as a spleenless person. A DOUBLE spleenless person. I realise people in your situation have special needs. Like flu shots. All I can offer is special immunes infused blood.

My mom saw some thing on Opera with some orange fizzy stuff you put in water and drink when you first begin to feel sick. Now she swears buy it. It's just vitamins or something, not expensive, I will fine out what it is for you and your spleens less body.

kisses meliss

 
At Wednesday, October 20, 2004 5:03:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oprah recommends AirBorne, which has plenty of vitamins. This is found with all other cold medicine Over the counter. You should be taking a multivitamin anyways if you have had any organ removed (ie centrum).In terms of your flu shot, I would honestly call the sangamon health department and tell them that you have a rare condition and need to speak to a real person!

 
At Friday, October 22, 2004 2:06:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, if you are working with germ filled kids, make a point not to touch your eyes, ears, mouth, or nose unless you have very clean hands. and by clean, the suggest using hot soapy water, (in your head sing that happy birthday song 2 times) and your hands will be officially clean. also i might suggest taking along some lysol for surfaces. i know it sounds kind of freakish. also, try the edy's whole fruit popsicles. lots of vit. C and they are sooo good. good luck.
my grandma had her spleen taken out many years ago and she always seems to get a flu shot every year and about every other year the shot actually gives her the flu. take that how you'd like.

Allie

p.s. i hear lots of teachers use AirBorne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com


Site Counters